Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Caerphilly Castle


Our friend Jordan traveled around with us this weekend. One of the places we visited was Caerphilly Castle in Wales. This castle is one of the largest medieval fortresses in Britain. It's beginning was in 1268 and was finished by 1270 or 71. Absolutely awesome. I think I might have had more fun than the boys, and they had a blast. It was an amazing site for sure. Walking around the grounds I found it hard not to picture myself living in the 1300s. What a difficult time period! I think this might have been my favorite at this point in our travels as far as man-made structures go.

There was a wedding happening when we were there. We just missed the bride in all her glory but did see their car.

The castle also had replicas of siege engines... ballista, a perrier, a trebuchet and a mangonel. The boys had a great time pretending to operate them.


I love the leaning tower.















No comments: