Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Horfield Common

This is a small Parish church near the common. I'm sure there are tons more like it, but it's the first one we've seen that has a cemetery on the grounds, actually surrounding the building. It's really beautiful and actually quite fitting. I think maybe all churches should do that. It would definitely help us as we came and left our weekly meeting places to think more often/soberly/hopefully/joyfully about eternity.

Horfield Common





The common and playground are about a 10-15-20 min. (depending on how long your legs are and how motivated they are) walk from our house. At first I thought that was close and we'd go often, but it's just far enough that if it's the slightest bit dreary out, the boys don't want to go. Hudson always wants to drive there. Such an American, that kid. Maybe once it warms up a bit. I guess we could drive though... now that I've taken up driving UK style.

Now on that note, I was absolutely petrified at first being that everything is opposite and with very little that is familiar as far as signage and markings go. It took 5 days and an almost emergency trip (I'll tell you about that later) to the hospital to get me in the drivers seat (which now that I think about it, might very well get us in the emergency room too!) You'll be pleased to know that I've only almost killed us once on my 2nd outing. Some of you consider me a fast driver, but I'm definitely the grandma driver here. There are no stop signs!!! What?!?! My rule is, if in doubt, stop. I've decided I'd rather be rear-ended than broadsided. I've been out 3 times now driving without Mark, and I'm definitely feeling more comfortable. My map never leaves my lap. I don't think they've ever even heard of a grid here. And as for making street signs visible or even labeling them at all? Whatever for? If they are labeled, it is usually about waist-high on the side of a building on only one side of the street. So even if you can see through the parked car or overgrown hedge, you might not be going in the right direction to see it at all. Good times when you have NO IDEA where you're going.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved all the new pics and narrative! Thanks for keeping up with it. We are remembering you in our prayers.

Anne Marie said...

I feel like I'm living it all through you! America suddenly seems so boring!

Anne Marie said...

However, I wouldn't trade being a Texan for anything. I guess we still have the Alamo...