Thursday, January 13, 2011

Travel Day

This is us at Logan airport 3 hrs. early with all our stuff. Thankfully Steve and Jackie (Mark's parents) helped us get everything inside to the ticket counter. There weren't any lines to speak of and everything went smoothly so we were through security to our gate rather quickly.

This is in our rental car on the 2 hr. drive to Bristol. This is what it looked like on the plane too except for one BIG difference... that little quiet guy in the middle wasn't so quiet on the plane. In fact, he was quite the opposite, appearing as a psychotic resemblance of this peaceful child. His affection for Toy Story became more than an obsession that produced cries and screams for Buzz and Woody that I know made Mark and I crazy and I'm sure half the plane as well. He slept very little; maybe 1 1/2 hrs combined on the 6 hr. flight. Nathanael in my lap didn't work at ALL. Maybe in business class, but not in coach seating. If anyone has heard Brian Reagan's piece on flying you can imagine the thoughts running through my head. Never again will we take any kid over 15 months on a plane longer than 3 hrs. unless they have a seat of their own. The financial cost is worth the mental sanity.


This is looking out our living room window. It's a beautiful view which I have only seen from this window. We've only been here 2 days, but Nathanael and I have yet to leave the flat since we got here on Wednesday. There are 3 doors, 2 keys and a code that keeps me going outside. We haven't had a chance for all of us to leave for Mark to show me how everything works. Hopefully this afternoon. I feel a bit trapped with Nathanael's dirty diapers. There are 3 doors that open up to porches in our flat, but none of which actually open for some reason. All that to say I have to triple bag them until Mark's around to take them to the trash.
This is our eating area/living room.
Hudson and Elliot in our kitchen. All equipped with a oven we were told not to use, and stove we can't figure out how to use, a 1970's microwave (which does work so who cares!), a toaster that we're living on and a dorm room size refrigerator. We're loving toast. "Good toast" for all you Nacho Libre fans.


3 comments:

trinity said...

The place looks really cool. I hope you can get the door thing figured out soon. It would be nice to get outside. It looks like there is more space than your other place. I hope that is the case.

Anonymous said...

So fun to see where y'all are living! I love the view out the window. Is this a permanent flat or temporary? Luke sat down and looked at your pictures and videos with me. He thinks Elliot and Hudson are funny! And he now knows where England is on the map, thanks to y'all. I'd invest in some air freshener if I were you :P

Rose Welty said...

And so the adventure begins. :-) Someone told me it's not that it's hugely different, it's just a thousand little things that are off. That was true for me. I hope you can get out soon and enjoy a nice walk.

After the first week or so we both wanted to leave but we were afraid of telling the other one. Eventually, we were both happy there. We still miss it - I'm sure you'll get there too, one day at a time. (And they have a lot of nice chocolate!)

Will be thinking of you and praying for you all week.